It is used to prevent infections caused by bacteria, fungus, and viruses. It is also used as a first-aid for cleaning wounds and scrapes, thereby lowering the risk of infections. It is dermatologically tested and recommended by the Indian Medical Association for personal hygiene as well. It is an antiseptic in nature which makes it useful to use against cuts as well and protect against microbes.
It contains chlorhexidine gluconate and cetrimide as the active ingredients, which are responsible for the antiseptic effect of this liquid. It is a strong antiseptic liquid that is widely used for first aid treatment. It protects against infection by washing out dirt and debris and killing bacteria in cuts, grazes, and minor wounds without the need to touch sore or broken skin.
For personal hygiene, you can add a few drops of this liquid in bathing water or even use it while cleaning your feet after coming home from outside. This liquid when mixed with water can also act as an effective after-shave lotion, especially to lower the risk of infection in case of cuts or bruises.
Remember, Savlon antiseptic liquid is only meant for external use. Do not even use it as a mouth rinse or take it orally as it may lead to various side effects. Also, this liquid should not be used for every skin problem that you may encounter. Also, keep it out of reach of children to avoid any casualty.
- Chlorhexidine Gluconate solution: 1.5% v/v
- Cetrimide solution: 3.0% w/v
Key benefits/uses of Savlon Antiseptic Liquid:
- Contains chlorhexidine gluconate which is a strong antibacterial that kills bacteria and prevents infection
- Contains cetrimide, a powerful sterilizing agent, which also has powerful disinfectant properties
- Owing to its disinfecting properties, it can be added to bathing or floor cleaning water
- Can be applied on skin rashes caused due to diaper (in both babies and adults)
- Can be used for lavatories, sinks, drains, waste bins, dustbins, on floors, kitchen, bathroom and hard surfaces where hygiene is essential
- Useful in the nursery, sickroom, and where pets have touched
- Can also be used for personal hygiene or bathing to cleanse the skin and protect against germs
- Helps to heal without hurting
Directions for use:
- While you can use this liquid as recommended by your doctor, based on what the liquid is used for, there are few dilutions recommended for this solution. This includes:
- To use it as a first-aid for minor cuts and scrapes, dilute 1 part of Savlon in 15 parts of clean water before use.
- For shaving, make sure to add 2 spoonfuls of Savlon in a mug of water prior to shaving.
- To use it for bathing, ensure to mix a spoonful of Savlon in a bucket full of water.
- For washing your clothes, you can dilute a spoonful of Savlon liquid in half a liter of water. You can even add Savlon while rinsing your clothes to keep the microbes at bay.
Quick tips for Savlon Antiseptic Liquid:
- Always dilute the product based on the recommendations before use to avoid skin irritation.
- If your condition fails to improve or if you experience any side-effects due to its use, then discontinue it immediately and consult your doctor.
- Be careful when using this liquid, especially around kids as there is a high chance that kids might drink this liquid unknowingly.
Side effects of Savlon Antiseptic Liquid:
When used as an antiseptic liquid as recommended, it does not cause any side effects. However, if used for cuts and wounds or as an after-shave lotion without diluting, it may cause mild irritation and sting on the skin but no major side effects.
Storage and safety information:
- Read the label carefully before use.
- Store in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Keep out of reach of the children.
- Avoid contact with the eyes.
FAQs related to Savlon Antiseptic Liquid:
Q. What is Savlon antiseptic used for?
It is an antiseptic in nature which makes it useful to use against cuts as well and protect against microbes. It is also used as a first-aid for cleaning wounds and scrapes, thereby lowering the risk of infections. It is also recommended for use for personal hygiene and hence used for bathing, washing clothes as well as shaving.
Q. Can Savlon antiseptic liquid be used for bathing?
Yes, Savlon antiseptic liquid can be used for bathing. You can add a few drops of this disinfectant liquid to a bucketful of water while taking a bath. This is known to act as an antiseptic as well, thereby lowering your risk of infections. It is quite popular as a personal hygiene product in many households.
Q. What are the side effects of Savlon?
When used for personal hygiene and as an antiseptic for the skin (such as cuts and wounds or as an after-shave lotion) without dilution, it may cause mild irritation and sting on the skin. However, it usually doesn't cause any major side effects.
Q. What is the difference between Savlon antiseptic and disinfectant?
Although used interchangeably, antiseptic and disinfectant have different uses. Antiseptics are usually used on the skin to kill microbes and lower your risk of infections. On the other hand, disinfectant is used on non-living things such as tables, windows, floors, or doors to kill microbes that can attack humans and increase the risk of infections.
Q. Is Savlon safe on the skin?
Yes, this antiseptic disinfectant liquid is safe for the skin when used as directed. It is known to kill germs and protect you against infections caused by cuts, scratches, and insect bites. You can also use it as a household disinfectant for laundry cleaning.
This product is non-returnable.