It is used to restore body fluids and electrolytes lost due to dehydration. It can be used by people suffering from gastrointestinal disorders such as diarrhea and vomiting. It acts as an oral rehydration salt (ORS) formula that has been recommended for use by the World Health Organization (WHO). It is also indicated for the treatment of metabolic acidosis.
It can be used to treat muscle cramping caused due to lack of water and electrolytes in the body. In some cases, people recovering from illnesses or those suffering from heatstroke are also recommended to use this powder. It can also be taken for dehydration caused due to exertion while exercising or due to excessive loss of water in hot and/or humid weather.
In simple terms, ORS is nothing but a mixture of salts and sugar. In diarrhea, your body tends to lose water and electrolytes such as sodium, chloride, potassium, bicarbonate, etc. If the fluid and electrolyte balance in the body is not maintained by replacing the lost salts and water, dehydration occurs. To prevent dehydration, ORS is recommended. The salt and sugar mixture in ORS stimulates water and electrolyte absorption from the gut, thereby aiding in the replacement of the lost salts in case of diarrhea and vomiting.
It is considered to be a safe and most effective treatment for diarrhea (both in kids and adults). It usually doesn't cause any side effects. However, if your condition worsens or if the symptoms still persist, it is best to consult your doctor.
- Sodium chloride: 2.6 gm
- Potassium chloride: 1.5 gm
- Sodium citrate: 2.9 gm
- Dextrose anhydrous: 13.5 gm
Key benefits/uses of Electral Powder:
- Contains sodium chloride which is essential to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body
- Helps restore the lost electrolytes and water caused due to dehydration
- Helps in the maintenance of water balance and distribution, acid-base balance, heart function, as well as muscle and nerve cell function
- Contains potassium which helps maintain kidney and adrenal function
- Boosts your energy level, thanks to the presence of dextrose anhydrous, the purest form of dextrose (commonly called glucose)
- Helps in the treatment of diarrhea and vomiting by maintaining water-electrolyte balance
- Works by neutralizing excess acid in the blood and urine, thus helping in the treatment of metabolic acidosis
- Improves recovery post an illness in adults as well as older people
- Is useful to fight and improve symptoms of heatstroke which is quite common during summer
- Helps improve fluid levels after excessive loss of water caused post exercising
Directions for use:
Dissolve the contents of the packet in the amount of drinking water indicated on the packet (which is usually advised to be dissolved in a liter of water).
If drinking water is not available or if you are not sure whether the water is drinkable, boil the water for at least 10 minutes and then let it cool. Add the contents. Stir to mix all the ingredients properly and then you can drink it.
Quick tips for Electral Powder:
- Adults can drink the solution directly from a glass, but for kids, use a spoon or a cup to feed. It is advised to not use a bottle to feed a kid.
- Do not mix the contents in milk, soup, fruit juices, etc. Always use water. Also, avoid adding extra sugar or salt to the solution.
- Always make a fresh drink every time and throw away the solution (if there is any unfinished drink). Keeping the drink uncovered or using the drink for more than 24 hours can up the risk of bacterial infections.
- Go through the ingredients before using it. If you are allergic to it or any of the components, it is advisable to not use it.
- Be careful to use the right amount of water. If you use too little water, the drink could make diarrhea worse.
- Do not use tap water as it carries a high risk of contamination which in turn can worsen the condition.
- Talk to your doctor if you suffer from any health problems such as kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, or severe and uncontrollable diarrhea/vomiting.
Side effects of Electral Powder:
It usually doesn’t cause any side effects when taken as advised by your doctor. However, if you experience any symptoms or if your condition fails to improve, it is best to consult your doctor. Remember to take it as advised by your doctor to reap its benefits.
Storage and safety information:
- Read the label carefully before use.
- Keep out of reach of the children.
- Store in a cool dry place.
- Use under medical supervision.
FAQs related to Electral Powder:
Q. What is Electral Powder used for?
It is used to help maintain the fluid-electrolyte balance in the body by restoring the lost electrolytes and fluids in the body. This is the reason that it is recommended to be used for dehydration caused due to diarrhea and vomiting. It is also advised to treat acidosis, improve symptoms of heatstroke, and also help maintain fluid level post exercising in hot or humid weather.
Q. Can we drink Electral Powder daily?
The key function of this powder is to maintain electrolyte balance and prevent as well as treat dehydration. So, if you are suffering from diarrhea or any other health condition that leads to loss of electrolytes as well as water from the body, it is wise to use it. However, drinking it on a daily basis is not advised as it may cause various side effects such as gas, bloating, or abdominal pain.
Q. What is the difference between ORS and Electral Powder?
Electral Powder is a WHO-based ORS (Oral Rehydration Salt) formula. Electral restores the fluids and electrolytes lost from the body due to dehydration due to diarrhea, vomiting, muscle cramping, and exertional heat illness while exercising in hot or humid weather.
Q. Does Electral Powder contain sugar?
Yes, along with electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, it contains good amounts of sugar which help to boost your energy levels. So if you are diabetic, then talk to your doctor before taking it as it might spike up your glucose level.
Q. How do you make homemade Electral Powder?
Take a cup (200 ml) of the clean water. Make sure the water is boiled and cooled down/filtered or bottled water. Do not use tap water as it carries a high risk of contamination which in turn can worsen the condition. To this, add a teaspoon (5 gms) of sugar and a pinch of salt. Stir to mix all the ingredients properly and ensure the sugar is dissolved completely.
Q. Does Electral give energy?
Yes, it contains the right balance of electrolytes along with simple sugars such as glucose. So when you mix its constituents in water, these are not only quickly absorbed by the body but also provide quick results thanks to the glucose present in it. In addition to preventing dehydration, it also keeps you energetic throughout the day.