It is used for the treatment and prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD). It also helps in restoring the normal microbial flora of the intestine. It is useful in the treatment as well as prevention of various infections like gastroenteritis (also known as infectious diarrhea) and intestinal disorders which include aphthous ulcers, stomatitis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and inflammatory bowel disorders (IBD). It is also recommended for treating travelers’ diarrhea.
It contains Streptococcus faecalis, Clostridium butyricum, Bacillus mesentericus and Lactobacillus sporogenes as major active ingredients. These act as probiotics that help in restoring the balance of good bacteria in the intestine that may get upset after antibiotic use or due to intestinal infections. It works by inhibiting or decreasing the growth of harmful microorganisms in the gut.
It is advised to take this capsule as directed by your doctor. If you are taking this along with antibiotics then make sure to maintain a time gap of at least 2 hours for effective results. It usually does not cause any side effects when taken as recommended by your doctor. However, in case of an overdose of this medication, it can lead to stomach complications.
- Streptococcus faecalis: 30 million
- Clostridium butyricum: 2 million
- Bacillus mesentericus: 1 million
- Lactic acid bacillus (Lactobacillus sporogenes): 50 million spores
Key uses of Bifilac Capsule:
- Used to treat and prevent diarrhea associated with antibiotic use
- Helps in restoring the normal microbial flora of the intestine
- Useful in the treatment as well as prevention of diarrhea caused by various infections
- Used in the treatment and management of rotavirus diarrhea, which is quite common in infants and children.
- Can help in the management of diverticular disease of the colon and also known to improve intestinal function post-surgery.
- Acts as supportive therapy in the treatment of stomach problems, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disorders (IBD)
- Helpful in the treatment as well as prevention of various infections, such as gastroenteritis (also known as infectious diarrhea), Travellers’ diarrhea
- Aids in improving intestinal disorders, such as aphthous ulcers and stomatitis
- Useful for the management of chronic and acute diarrhea
Directions for use:
You can take one to two capsules thrice daily or as directed by your physician. You should not consume it more than the recommended daily dose as it may lead to side effects. You can take this medicine with or without food.
Quick tips for Bifilac Capsule:
- Talk to your doctor if you are taking any other drugs, vitamin supplements or herbal supplements to prevent any possible drug interactions.
- Avoid taking this capsule along with steroids (medications that weaken the immune system) as it might increase the chances of getting sick.
- Take this medicine at least 2 hours before or after antibiotics. Taking Lactobacillus sporogenes along with antibiotics can reduce the effectiveness of the medicine.
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this tablet, inform your doctor immediately.
- If you are pregnant, trying to conceive or breast-feeding, ask your doctor for advice before taking this medication.
- Ideally, it is advised to take a single dose of this medicine but if your doctor prescribes otherwise then do follow his/her advice.
- In case you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the dose you missed and take your next dose at the scheduled time.
- It is best to take this supplement after meals as it helps to avoid any reaction caused due to stomach acid.
Side effects of Bifilac Capsule:
It usually does not cause any side effects when taken as recommended by your doctor. However, in case of an overdose of this medication, it can cause stomach problems. Some of the common side effects include:
- Stomach ache
Storage and safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose.
- Read the label carefully before use.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store in a cool‚ dry and dark place.
- Protect from the direct sunlight.
Key benefits of Bifilac capsules:
- Streptococcus faecalis helps in maintaining the normal balance of the good bacteria in the intestine. It is also known to improve immunity by ensuring the proper functioning of gut health. Along with that, it helps lower your risk of digestive disorders and can prevent the occurrence of diarrhea, inflammatory diseases, and lactose intolerance.
- Clostridium butyricum helps in maintaining the pH balance of the intestine which, in turn, aids in the growth and multiplication of the gut bacteria. This bacteria produces fatty acid chains of butyric and acetic acid upon multiplication to restore the pH.
- Bacillus mesentericus is known to inhibit the growth of bad bacteria and promote the growth of good bacteria, thereby maintaining normal microbial flora in the gut post-infection or the use of antibiotics. It is also known to lower the secretion of harmful toxins that can lead to diarrhea.
- Lactobacillus sporogenes produce lactic acid which makes the environment of the intestine unfavorable for the growth of harmful bacteria. Lactobacillus are normal colonizers of the intestine, they work by inhibiting or decreasing the growth of harmful microorganisms in the gut by producing lactic acid.
FAQs related to Bifilac Capsule:
Q. What is Bifilac capsule used for?
It is used to treat and prevent diarrhea associated with antibiotic use. It is also used for restoring the normal microbial flora of the intestine. In addition to that, it acts as supportive therapy to improve the functioning of the intestinal tract and manage infections of the stomach and intestine such as gastroenteritis and colitis. In infants and children, it is used to treat diarrhea caused by rotavirus.
Q. Is Bifilac a good probiotic?
Yes, Bifilac is a good probiotic. It helps in restoring good bacteria in the intestine and is mostly prescribed along with an antibiotic. This is because antibiotics are known to kill/inhibit the good bacteria in the stomach along with infection-causing bacteria, causing an imbalance of overall bacterial count.
Bifilac helps to restore the gut flora and improve the functioning of the intestine as well as prevent any side effects caused by the use of antibiotic medicine. It is also known to boost immunity, improve overall gut health, and lower the risk of digestive symptoms.
Q. Is it good to take probiotics every day?
Probiotics usually do not cause any side effects when taken as directed by your doctor. Usually, it is advised or preferred to be taken at the end of a meal. Based on your condition, you may be advised to take one single dose per day or 2 to 3 doses per day. Taking these as advised by your doctor can help reduce the severity of the symptoms and their side effects.
Q. Should I take digestive enzymes with every meal?
Digestive enzymes supplements are normally taken with meals as it helps in the process of digestion and aids in the treatment of indigestion and bloating. However, in some cases, it can also be taken in between meals or as directed by the doctor. So, consult your doctor to know the right time and right dose of this medication as per your condition.
Q. Can Lactobacillus be harmful?
Lactobacillus is considered to be safe when taken as directed by your physician. Lactic acid bacillus is an inactivated bacteria that is good for the gut. They prevent the growth of the other pathogenic bacteria that cause diarrhea or other bacterial infections in the body.
Q. What are the health benefits of taking probiotics?
Probiotics are colonies of live microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, and yeast that are essential for the well-being of the human body. Some of the common health benefits of probiotics include fighting infections, improving digestion, boosting immunity, promoting weight loss, and maintaining vaginal hygiene.